Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mystery Quilt Tip #4

Tip #4 - Distribute the bulk.

The last construction step in Part 2 tells you to use some of the units you've pieced to build the block. There are 8 seams that converge in the center of that block, and that's a lot of bulk when you're trying to press the completed block. There is a way to distribute that bulk so the block will lay flatter.

Most of you already know to press seams in opposite directions when joining units so the seams will butt nicely together, as in this four patch unit, for example.

Once the two halves of the block are sewn together, I pick out a couple of stitches on both sides of that long seam.

Gently pull the center seam apart, and press the seams so they rotate in the same direction around the center of the block. In this photo the seams rotate in a clockwise direction, and they form a tiny four patch in the center of the block.

The same principle can be applied to the mystery quilt block. Because the block is basically constructed with four quarter units, you can join the four quarters together in the same manner as a four patch unit. Pick out a couple of stitches on both sides of that long seam, and press.

In this photo the seams of my four quarter units rotate counterclockwise. Notice I now have a tiny pinwheel in the center that mirrors my pinwheel on the front of the block.

I have not yet made my nine patch units from Part 1 that go in the first border, and I hope to have that done in the next couple days. There may or may not be more tips. I'll have to wait and see. If anyone has a question, please let me know.

1 comment:

Margo in Maine said...

Sue thanks for all the expert instructions....really appreciated!!