Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Mystery Quilt Tip #5


Tip # 5 - Places to match.


It didn't occur to me until after I'd sewn together some of the sashing and borders that there were a few key places I should have matched. A couple places didn't bother me enough to rip them out, but the borders I wound up ripping and re-sewing. Thought maybe I'd save you some time.

When the sashing is added, you probably want to make sure that the points of the triangles in the blocks are straight across from one another. They'll be noticeable if they're too far off.



To accomplish this, I used a ruler as a straight edge to mark with a pin where the edge of the sashing lined up with the triangle points.








Then I marked the edge of the next block with a couple of pins where the triangle tips were, aligned the two sets of pins, pinned the seam and stitched it.

When you sew the pieced borders to the quilt center, mark the middles of the triangles that fall in the center of each border strip, and align those points with the middle of the sashing strips.

When you sew the top and bottom borders on, match the nine patch units at the corners, and match the middle of the green triangle in the top border with the seam line where you added the side border.

1 comment:

Margo in Maine said...

Now you tell me....ha ha...I sewed my middle together and saw that it was suppose to match...well it is going to lay where it is...but love all the measurements and lineup of the outside....thanks Sue for all your expertise...it is so appreciated...and will certainly be helpful to finish off...see you tomorrow..